One of the reasons video content publishers and other content creators can earn a living these days is because of the Patreon platform. Now everyone is familiar with at least one YouTube Patreon creator.
And now that Patreon is a well-known membership site, it is profitable for both creators and itself.
Since its beginnings in 2013, the company has grown to become one of the largest platforms. However, as per Patreon’s CPO, the company does not really want to be one that is only known for its first eight years but also for the following eight.
What will the future of Patreon look like in 2022 and beyond? What do the Patreon Statistics say?
In this article, we will discuss some significant statistics about Patreon and its creator data points regarding users and revenue.
So without wasting time, let’s understand the Patreon Platform.
- Patreon creators make $100M+ a month.
- More than 222,000 artists have at least one Patreon.
- Over 6 million people support Patreon. Within the last three years, 4 million of these followers have signed up.
- The total amount of money raised by Patreon is $412.1 million.
- approximate $2 billion has been earned by creators on Patreon.
- Videos and podcasts have the most creators, according to data provided by Graphtreon.
- In the last 3 years, more than 50 percent of the 6 million Patreons that Patreon hosts on its website have signed up. Currently, it receives more than 6 million active supporters every month.
- Videos are preferred by 38% of Patreon creators.
- There are more than 55,000 video makers on Patreon as of September 2022, and their average monthly payments, excluding hidden earnings, exceed $6.4 million.
- Graphtreon stats indicate that Patreon generated 12 million individual pledges on average over the previous year, with a maximum of 12.4 million in August 2022.
- Semrush data revealed that Patreon received 121.59 million visits on average per month in July 2022. Mobile devices are the primary method of access for 56.9% of users.
- According to Backlinko, the platform generated an estimated $80 million in revenue annually in 2020.
- In the initial weeks of the pandemic, more than 30,000 creators registered.
- Google Trends indicates that in 2021, involvement in Patreon has decreased slightly.
- End of June 2020 saw a value of 90 for the search term “Patreon,” but the end of June 2021 saw a value of 67.
- As of the September 10 update this year, Patreon is ranked 255th globally among websites by web traffic analytics company Semrush.
- In September 2022, the app had more than 510,000 downloads.
- Crunchbase reports that over the course of eight rounds, Patreon was able to secure $413.3 million in funding.
- On CNBC’s 2021 List of Disruptor Companies, it is ranked as number 48.
- According to a blog post-Jack Conte, CEO of Patreon, shared, over 200,000 creators will have earned over $3.5 billion in total by the end of December 2021.
- Employees of Patreon are thought to earn an average annual salary of $149622.
- Four businesses have been purchased by Patreon.
- 80 percent of Patreon creators are independent contractors.
- Daily Patreon promotion by creators can increase their earnings by up to 75%.
- There are more than 230,000 creators on Patreon.
- According to Graphtreon, 222,689 (Oct 2022) of the total Patreon have at least one Patreon account. That is an increase of 5.0% since May 2022.
- True Obsessed Crime is the top creator on Patreon with 42000 Patreons.
- Chapo Trap House comes in second with 38,000 followers, and DarkCookie shows up in third with 26,000 supporters.
- Over 2,000 Patreons provide financial support to 0.3% of Patreon creators.
- Crafts and DIY are the least popular non-adult content categories, accounting for less than 0.3% of all creatives discovered.
- In June of this year, creatives earned an estimated $23.2 million, compared to $18.5 million at the same time last year, representing a 26% revenue increase.
- Adult content is present on approximately 23% of Patreon pages, representing over 50,000 creatives. Another 5.5% of the platform’s creatives create written content.
- Video content creators earn the most money, with an estimated $6 million in revenue. Podcast creative types generate slightly more than half of the revenue, $3.5 million.
- Monthly revenue for games is $1.75 million, followed by adult games at $1.6 million, music and songs at $1.2 million, and writing at $1 million. The remaining categories generate less than $1 million per month.
- Over the last few years, the overall number of users has increased steadily. In 2017, the platform had 2 million supporters, which increased to 3 million and then 4 million in 2018 and 2019.
- Since the past two years Patreon has increased 37.31% of new creators (175,020).
Here is an increase in number of creators over the years
|Year||Number of Creator|
Patreon Popular Creators and Earnings
- According to data and information, Patreon creators earn more than $2 billion. Since 2019, the platform’s overall creator earnings have increased by twofold.
- In September 2021, Patreon creators got paid an overall $23.64 million. Monthly profits have increased by 23.18% in the last year (approx $19.19 million in September 2020).
- Among all Patreon creators, only 697 (0.33% of the total) receive funding from more than 2,000 supporters.
- The estimated monthly payout in Sep 2022 is $24,399,879.
- Over the previous four years, the creator’s yearly earnings have increased exponentially. Creators received $150 million in 2017, and the amount increased to $300 million the following year.
- In order to surpass $1 billion, the amount received in 2020 more than doubled the $500 million received in 2019.
- The amount of money that creators made each month increased by 68% between February 2021 and February 2020.
- True Obsessed Crime, a series of podcasts that evaluates true crime documentary films, is the most popular creator on Patreon. The show is sponsored by 43,823 people.
- According to the number of Patreons, 7 out of the most popular 10 Patreon creators publish podcasts.
Here are the top 10 Creators on Patreon with total number of Patreon and monthly earnings. (OCT 2022)
|Creator||Number of Patreons||Monthly Earnings|
|True Crime Obsessed||48,433||–|
|The Tim Dillon Show||45,639||$181,415|
|Matt and Shane’s Secret Podcast||41,612||–|
|Chapo Trap House||37,283||$161,026|
|The Cum Boys||31,505||$140,845|
|The Fantasy Footballers||31,117||–|
- On Patreon, True Crime Obsessed enjoys the most support.
- With 14,483 supporters, Razed is the most popular game developer on Patreon at the moment.
- For at least 412 days running, MxR Mods has been in the top spot in the adult video category on Patreon.
- Pomplamoose has been the Top 1,000 creator on Patreon for 3,395 days and counting.
- The Tim Dillon Show received an average $5.18 pledge from 42,916 Patreons as of the end of August 2022.
Patreon Creator Category Statistics
- Around half of the creators on Patreon make their content within the video, music, podcasts, and gaming categories.
- There are more than 1,00,000 creators that produce content with such categories.
- The most in-demand category is video content, which accounts for 25.88% of all Patreon accounts with 54,582 creators.
The following is a detailed number of creators by content type:
|Category||Number of Creators||Total Percentage covered|
- Video creators earn the most profit on Patreon as a group. Estimated monthly video content revenue totals $6.37 million.
- Podcasts represent the most profitable in terms of revenue per creator. Podcasters receive 14.80% of all monthly payments despite making up only 7.66% of Patreon creators.
The following table breaks down total monthly creator profits by category:
|Category||Monthly Payouts||Total Percentage covered|
|Adult Games||$1.84 million||7.70%|
|Adult Video||$675 thousand||2.81%|
|Adult Photography||$94 thousand||0.39%|
|Adult Cosplay||$46 thousand||0.19%|
Patreon Revenue Statistics
- Patreon generates revenue by taking a share of all creator income earned by the platform. Depending on the service plan selected by the purchaser, Patreon takes nearly around 5% and 12% of the creator’s income (plus an online payment fee).
- Patreon generates $80 million in annual revenues if the average cutting is 8% of total earnings.
- In 2021 Patreon generated a yearly income of $160 million.
- According to TechCrunch, Patreon obtained $50 million in yearly earnings in 2019. A 66.66% boost over the prior year.
Here’s data with Patreon revenue estimates since 2017:
(Source: TechCrunch, Patreon)
- Patreon has a $4 billion post-money valuation as of its funding round. Patreon’s valuation has grown 26.95 times in the past 5 years, from $148.38 million in 2016.
- Patreon generates revenue by charging a fee of 5% to 12% on earnings received by content providers on the platform, with an average payout of 8.5%.
- The yearly value of financial support received by platform creators exceeds $1 billion.
- Over 60% of Patreon’s funding has come from the last two rounds of funding, Series E and Series F.
- Patreon employees earn a median salary of $135,000.
Web Traffic Statistics:
- According to Semrush, in May 2022, the total number of visits Patreon got was 259.4 million. It receives 2.2 pages each time, and visits last an average of 9 minutes and 48 seconds.
- The bounce rate for Patreon is 60.29%.
- 63% of Patreon’s traffic came from desktop computers, with 37% coming from mobile devices.
- A total of 103,570,865 gadgets were connected to the traffic in May 2021, of which 64,649,006 were desktop computers and 38,921,859 were mobile.
- In the past 30 days, 513,479 people have downloaded the app.
- In May 2022, Patreon had 124,424 paid customers and 5,499,065 organic traffic attempts. The range of organic visitors increased to 5,611,378, while the number of paid visitors increased to 189,651 later that month.
- There was an increase in the number of devices overall in the month of June, which resulted in new figures of 66,556,182 desktop computers and 38,745,404 mobiles.
- According to Patreon statistics, 29.3% of contributors and customers access the website on desktop computers. That indicates that the majority of users, or 70.7%, access the website through mobile devices.
- In June, the United States contributed 56.8 million devices to the traffic, followed by the UK with 5 million, Germany with 2.9 million, Brazil with 2.3 million, and Canada with 3.8 million.
- YouTube accounts for 50% and 30%, respectively, of the fans of musicians and video makers on Patreon.
- DeviantArt provides 21% of the supporters for visual artists, while Twitter attracts 18% of the audience for game developers.
- While this is happening, Facebook is where most of the listeners for writers and podcasters come from.
- By contrast, only 7% of the money Patreon creators receive comes from subscriptions on other platforms.
- Actually, 8% of them choose to work alone and delegate various tasks, such as handling customer interactions, to non-creators.
- It’s odd that visual artists are the ones who tend to handle everything by themselves. Actually, a staggering 94% of them do.
Covid-19 and Patreon
- Customers increased the amounts they were giving to their favorite creators during the COVID-19 pandemic to help them through this difficult time.
- The average amount of money that creators raised increased by 60% in March 2020.
- The number of creators joining Patreon increased by 30,000 in the first few weeks of March 2020.
- More than 50,000 new creators joined the platform by the end of March.
Final Thoughts: Patreon Statistics
Considering all the features that Patreon is preparing to roll out in 2023, it would be interesting to review these statistics in a year.
The membership platform has processed more monthly payments than ever in recent years, thanks to strong user growth.
Fortunately, Patreon is active in a lot of areas. It commands a high level of brand recall and fills a market niche that it invented.
Will it keep providing its users with fantastic earnings to encourage them to stay?
Share your thoughts in the comment section below.
- Grammarly Discount Code 2022 — 20% Off Special Offer (NOV) - November 26, 2022
- Jasper AI Black Friday 2022: Exclusive 20% Off + 3 Bonuses - November 26, 2022
- MasterClass Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2022 [Exclusive deals] - November 26, 2022